[openstack-dev] [Nova] The unbearable lightness of specs

Radoslav Gerganov rgerganov at vmware.com
Thu Jun 25 11:04:17 UTC 2015

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:28:59AM +0100, Nikola Đipanov wrote:
>> Hey Nova,
>>
>> I'll cut to the chase and keep this email short for brevity and clarity:
>>
>> Specs don't work! They do nothing to facilitate good design happening,
>> if anything they prevent it. The process layered on top with only a
>> minority (!) of cores being able to approve them, yet they are a prereq
>> of getting any work done, makes sure that the absolute minimum that
>> people can get away with will be proposed. This in turn goes and
>> guarantees that no good design collaboration will happen. To add insult
>> to injury, Gerrit and our spec template are a horrible tool for
>> discussing design. Also the spec format itself works for only a small
>> subset of design problems Nova development is faced with.
>
> I'd like to see some actual evidence to backup a sweeping statement
> as "Specs dont work. They do nothing to facilitate good design happening,
> if anything they prevent it."

Here is actual evidence: my spec[1] for changing the console API has
been approved twice (in Kilo and Liberty), then it was augmented by the
API WG [2], the implementation has been in review for 6 months [3] and
there is still no agreement on this API change.  I am not talking about
implementation details but fundamental things that should be cleared out
during the spec review.  So writing and reviewing this spec was pretty
much a waste of time.

[1]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/liberty/approved/consolidate-console-api.html

[2]