[openstack-dev] [Nova] The unbearable lightness of specs

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Wed Jun 24 13:38:30 UTC 2015

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:28:59AM +0100, Nikola Đipanov wrote:
>> Hey Nova,
>>
>> I'll cut to the chase and keep this email short for brevity and clarity:
>>
>> Specs don't work! They do nothing to facilitate good design happening,
>> if anything they prevent it. The process layered on top with only a
>> minority (!) of cores being able to approve them, yet they are a prereq
>> of getting any work done, makes sure that the absolute minimum that
>> people can get away with will be proposed. This in turn goes and
>> guarantees that no good design collaboration will happen. To add insult
>> to injury, Gerrit and our spec template are a horrible tool for
>> discussing design. Also the spec format itself works for only a small
>> subset of design problems Nova development is faced with.
>
> I'd like to see some actual evidence to backup a sweeping statement
> as "Specs dont work. They do nothing to facilitate good design happening,
> if anything they prevent it."
>
> Comparing Nova today, with Nova before specs were introduced, I think
> that specs have had a massive positive impact on the amount of good
> design and critique that is happening.
>
> Before specs, the average blueprint had no more than 3 lines of text
> in its description. Occassionally a blueprint would link to a wiki
> page or google doc with some design information, but that was very
> much the exception.
>
> When I was reviewing features in Nova before specs came along, I spent
> alot of time just trying to figure out what on earth the code was
> actually attempting to address, because there was rarely any statement
> of the problem being addressed, or any explanation of the design that
> motivated the code.  This made life hard for reviewers trying to figure
> out if the code was acceptable to merge.  It is pretty bad for contributors
> trying to implement new features too, as they could spend weeks or months
> writing and submitting code, only to be rejected at the end because the
> (lack of any design discussions) meant they missed some aspect of the
> problem which in turn meant all their work was in vain. That was a collosal
> waste of everyone's time and resulted in some of the very horrible code
> impl decisions we're still living with today.

Yes there are good reasons to have a place to discuss implementation
before doing it, especially if you are new to the project.

The behemoth we have now is not that. It's miles away as you point out
below.

> [...]
>> we have versioned RPC. Our internal APIs are terrible, and provide no
>> isolation, but we have the means to iterate and figure it out.
>>
>> I don't expect this process issues will get solved quickly, If it were
>> up to me I'd drop the whole thing, but I understand that it's not how
>> it's done.
>>
>> I do hope this makes people think, discuss and move things into the
>> direction of facilitating quality software development instead of
>> outright preventing it. I'll follow up with some ideas on how to go
>> forward once a few people have commented back.
>
> I will agree that the specs process has a number of flaws - in particular
> I think we've treated it as too much of a rigid process resulting it in
> being very beurocractic. In particular I think are missing an ability to
> be pragmmatic in decisions about the level of design required and whether
> specs are required. The idea of allowing blueprints without specs in
> some cases was an attempt to address this, but I don't feel it has been
> very successful - there is still too much stuff being forced through
> the specs process unncessarily imho.
>
> I've repeatedly stated that the fact that we created an even smaller
> clique of people to approve specs (nova-drivers which is a tiny subset
> of the already faaaar too small nova-core) is madness, as it creates
> an even worse review burden on them, and thus worsens the bottleneck
> than we already have.
>
> In reviewing specs, we also often get into far too much detail about
> the actual implementation, which is really counterproductive. eg when
> get down to bikeshedding about the names of classes, types of object
> attributes, and so forth, it is really insane. That level of detail
> and bikesheeding belongs in the code review, not the design for the
> most part.
>
> Specs are also inflexible when it comes to dealing with features that
> cross multiple projects, because we silo'd spec reviews against the
> individual projects. This is sub-optimal, but ultimately not a show
> stopper.
>
> I also think the way we couple spec approval & reviews to the dev
> cycles is counterproductive. We should be willing to accept and
> review specs at any point in any cycle, and once approved they should
> remain valid for a prolonged period of time - not require us to go
> through re-review every new dev cycle as again that's just creating
> extra burden. We should of course though reserve the right to unapprove
> specs if circumstances change, invlidating the design for the previous
> approval.
>
> In short specs are far from perfect, but to say specs don't solve/help
> anything todo with design in nova is really ignoring our history from
> before the time specs existed. We must continue to improve our process
> overall the biggest thing we lost IMHO is agility and pragmatism in
> our decision making - I think we can regain that without throwing away

Basically I agree with everything above.

I urge people to reply to this instead of my original email as the
writing is more detailed and balanced.

Thanks Daniel!

N.