[openstack-dev] [all] [qpid] [zmq] [RabbitMQ] [oslo] Pending deprecation of driver(s).

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Jun 23 16:21:22 UTC 2015

On 23/06/15 08:30 -0700, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>Flavio Percoco wrote:
>>On 22/06/15 12:43 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
>>>Excerpts from Adam Young's message of 2015-06-22 11:26:54 -0700:

>>>Adam that is all great information, thank you. However, the policy is
>>>clear: commit resources for integration testing, or it needs to move
>>>out of tree.
>>>
>>>It's not a mountain of resources. Just an integration test that passes
>>>reliably, and a couple of QPID+OpenStack experts who we can contact when
>>>it breaks. If nobody is willing to put that much effort in, then it is
>>>not really something we want in our official messaging library tree.
>>>
>>>So please if you can carry that message up to those who want it to
>>>stay in
>>>tree, that would be helpful and would put the stops on this deprecation.
>>
>>Agreed with the above.
>>
>>I'd also like to add that it was also discussed with folks previously
>>maintaining the qpid driver what their plans with that work were and
>>the agreement of deprecating it was reached with them.
>
>Just to note, something that may be acceptable for people that need
>this, and don't mind doing a little bit of work to maintain it out of
>tree. It appears the kombu qpid driver does have SASL support (from a
>quick glance at the code):
>
>- https://github.com/celery/kombu/blob/master/kombu/transport/qpid.py#L1250
>- https://github.com/celery/kombu/blob/master/kombu/transport/qpid.py#L1210
>
>So until this gets resolved and/or maintained it appears folks could
>just use the one built-in to kombu (assuming it works)? If the
>oslo.messaging 'impl_rabbit.py' one was more of a kombu 'wrapper' (and
>renamed 'impl_kombu.py'?) than this might have been even easier to
>support/make possible.

TBH, I'm more for making the impl_rabbit driver more "rabbit-focused"
rather than more "kombu-focused". Using kombu for it is great and I
wouldn't advice to move away from it (not in the short run at least).
But if there are changes that we can do to make it more rabbit
specific, I'd be all for that.

Cheers,
Flavio