[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Proposal to add a new repository

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Mon Jun 22 14:40:22 UTC 2015

On 06/22/2015 04:19 PM, Devananda van der Veen wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for the excellent summary! I found it very helpful to get caught
> up. I'd like to make sure I understand the direction ahc is going. A
> couple questions...

Let me add my $0.5 :)

> I see that ahc is storing its information in swift. That's clever, but
> if Ironic provided a blob store for each node, would that be better?
>
> We discussed adding a search API to Ironic at the Vancouver summit,
> though no work has been done on that yet, afaik. If ahc is going to grow
> a REST API for searching for nodes based on specific criteria that it
> discovered, could/should we combine these within Ironic's API?

I think John meant having API to replace scripts, so I guess search
won't help. When we're talking about advanced matching, we're talking
about the following:
1. We have a ramdisk tool (based on [8]) to get some insane of facts
from withing the ramdisk (say, 1000 of them)
2. We have an Inspector plugin to put them all in Swift (or Ironic blob
storage as above)
3. We have config files (aka rules) written in special JSON-alike DSL to
do matching (one of the weak points is that these are files - I'd like
API endpoint to accept these rules instead).
4. We have a script to run this DSL and get some output (match/not match
+ some matched variables - similar to what regexps do).
As I understood it John want the latter to become an API endpoint,
accepting rules (and maybe node UUIDs) and outputting some result.

Not sure about benchmarking here, but again, it's probably an API
endpoint that accepts some minimal expectations, and puts failed nodes
to maintenance mode, if they fail to comply (again, that's how I
understood it).

It's not hard to make these API endpoints part of Inspector, but it's
somewhat undesirable to have them optional...

>  From a service coupling perspective, I like the approach that ahc is
> optional, and also that Ironic-inspector is optional, because this keeps
> the simple use-case for Ironic, well, simple! That said, this seems more
> like a configuration setting (should inspector do extra things?) than an
> entirely separate service, and separating them might be unnecessarily
> complicated.

We keep thinking about it as well. After all, right now it's just a
couple of utilities. There are 2 more concerns that initially made me
pull out this code:
1. ahc-tools currently depends on the library [8], which I wish would be
developed much more openly
2. it's cool that inspector is pluggable, but it has its cost: there's a
poor feedback loop from inspector processing plugins to a user - like
with all highly asynchronous code
3. it's also not possible (at least for now) to request a set of
processing plugins when starting introspection via inspector.

We solved the latter 2 problems by moving code to scripts. So now
Inspector only puts some data to Swift, and scripts can do everything else.

So now we've left with
1. dependency on "hardware" library
2. not very stable interface, much less stable than one of Inspector

We still wonder how to solve these 2 without creating one more
repository. Any ideas are welcome :)