[openstack-dev] [all] FYI - dropping non RabbitMQ support in devstack

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Jun 19 19:45:38 UTC 2015

On 06/19/2015 03:16 PM, Ken Giusti wrote:
> I've already +1'd this patch - timing issues aside - I think this is a
> Good Thing from a developer's point of view.  Particularly, my own
> selfish point of view :)  I envision the ability to support multiple
> different messaging services via the amqp1 driver.  Having to keep
> devstack updated with an array of supported configurations is gonna be a
> nightmare for all involved.  I'd much rather have a small independent
> plugin to work on rather than having to get every change included into
> devstack proper.
>
> And thanks to Sean's excellent example I've started a plugin for the
> amqp1.0 driver (totally untested at this point), so we'll have that
> covered [0].   Thanks Sean!

Neat!

> That said, the only concern I have with this patch is whether it will
> result in a less well-tested oslo.messaging.

It shouldn't. One of the reasons the timing seemed appropriate here is
that with the move by the O.M. to own their own setup for services in
their functional tree, to the best of my knowledge there are no upstream
test jobs using this code to gate project changes. Part of the reason
for starting this email thread was to let any that were missed speak up
so we could address it.

You can use devstack plugins in gate jobs by simply adding 2 additional
lines to your project test job definition. I've got a reorganized
documentation patch to the devstack repo up for review that hopefully
makes that even clearer -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/193519/2/doc/source/plugins.rst,cm
(section starts at L199).

This is the way that many official OpenStack projects, such as Trove,
Zaqar, and Magnum test themselves today, and more and more things are
moving to that model. It's really the only sustainable way to support a
big OpenStack ecosystem.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague