[openstack-dev] [Keystone][OSC] Keystone v3 user create --project $projid does not add user to project?

Steve Martinelli stevemar at ca.ibm.com
Fri Jun 19 14:46:58 UTC 2015

Terry Howe <terrylhowe at gmail.com> wrote on 06/19/2015 10:22:51 AM:

> From: Terry Howe <terrylhowe at gmail.com>
> Date: 06/19/2015 10:25 AM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Keystone][OSC] Keystone v3 user create
> --project $projid does not add user to project?
>
> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 12:30 AM, Matthias Runge <mrunge at redhat.com>
wrote:
> On 18/06/15 17:58, Dolph Mathews wrote:
> This was entirely intentional, in order to replace the implicit role
> assignment behavior in v2 with an explicit behavior in v3.

> I must admit, this is quite irritating, as the command line client
> still offers the --project ability; dropping this silently leads to
> somewhat unexpected results.
>
> From a user perspective, I would appreciate a warning in such cases;
> this is a common pattern everywhere else in OpenStack.
>
> A good place to vent your rage:
https://launchpad.net/python-openstackclient

I don't think OSC is the place to vent, we are simply following the APIs
[0] and python clients [1]. It's a valid option for setting a default
project.
The behavior of the "--project" parameter changed from v2 to v3. In v2.0
it used to imply a "_member_" role in that project. Now, in v3, it sets a
default project that the user can leverage at authentication time [2].

[0]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/api/v3/identity-api-v3.html#create-user
[1]
https://github.com/openstack/python-keystoneclient/blob/master/keystoneclient/v3/users.py#L51