[openstack-dev] [all] Gerrit based IRC meetings.

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Fri Jun 19 07:14:48 UTC 2015

Hi All,
    We've been using the new gerrit based irc-meetings repo for about 3 week
now.  There have been teething troubles but by and large I think things are
going well.  People have identified some tooling changes/enhancements that
we're workign on, buyt that's another thread.

A couple of things have happened that make me feel like we might need to come
up with some (and I hesitate to call it policy) conventions? on how changes
land in the irc-meetings repo.

The first thing is using the review to "vote" on meeting times.
- I'm not certain this is the best workflow but it's something worth palying
  with.  The key is identifying that a review is a suggestion and then
  identifying when that suggestion becomes golden are the key things.  So
  perhaps if you're looking for votes on a review -W it?  Or add a comment  like:
  This a a vote if there are no -1's after $datetime please merge then?

Knowning that a meeting change is *correct* / endorsed.
- When a Change comes in I do verify that the new time seems to match the
  project wiki / documentation I can easily find.  However it's possible, as an outsider to your project, I may miss sometime and approve a "bad" change.  It isn't great for the calendar to list the wrong meetiung information.  I have 2 suggestions:
  1) I "require" the PTL to +1 the meeting change ; or
  2) The commit message contains a like to some public log that indicates the
     change has been discussed. (say an IRC log or mailing list archive)
  These 2 options aren't exclusive.  We could of course just accept mistakes
  will be made and handle reverts quickly but I don't really like that.

Also we need better (some) docs on how to actually schedule a meeting in the
new way.  I know it isn't radically different to what we all do dya to day but
documentation is good.  I'll start somethign with the conclusion of this thread.

I don't want to make this to hard but I also want to make sure I'm doing the
right thing by the community.

So thoughts?

Yours Tony.