[openstack-dev] [all] [qpid] [zmq] [RabbitMQ] [oslo] Pending deprecation of driver(s).

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Jun 19 06:14:49 UTC 2015

On 18/06/15 16:37 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>Excerpts from Clint Byrum's message of 2015-06-18 12:47:21 -0700:
>> Hello! I know there's been a lot of churn and misunderstanding over the
>> recent devstack changes, so I wanted to make it clear where we're going
>> with messaging drivers now that the policy [1] was approved.
>>
>> According to the policy, drivers need to have at least 60% unit test
>> coverage, and an integration test suite with at least 3 "popular"
>> OpenStack projects, with preference for Nova, Cinder, and Glance, and
>> individuals who will support said test suite.
>>
>> So, with that, the following is the status of each driver in tree right
>> now:
>>
>> rabbit - 89% Unit test coverage. Being the default in devstack, and
>> the default in nearly every project's config files, this one is heavily
>> integration tested. There are multiple individuals who have proven to
>> be able to debug failures related to RabbitMQ and are well known in
>> the community.
>
>+1
>

>> qpid - Unit test coverage is at 77%, so it passes that bar. I cannot
>> find any integration testing being done, so it fails that. I also have
>> not found anyone who will step up and support it. So this should be
>> deprecated immediately.
>
>+1 - I believe Ken and the other folks interested in this indicated that
>the AMQP 1.0 driver should replace this one.

The qpid driver should be deprecated, I'll be doing so in the next
couple of days. Look forward to the patch.

>Speaking of AMQP 1.0, you don't mention that one (it uses qpid, but is
>separate from the driver named "qpid").

I'd like to clarify something about the AMQP 1.0 driver. It's not a
direct replacement for the qpidd one because it uses an entirely
different protocol that recently became a standard.

The reason I mention this is because it doesn't really require qpidd -
not the double d - which is the broker daemon in the qpid family. I
guess the confusion comes because the library it sits on top off is
called qpid-proton.

The qpid family is a set of tools that provide messaging capabilities.
Among those you find qpidd (broker daemon), qpid-proton (amqp1.0
library), qpid-dispatch (message router). It's confusing indeed.

The importance of this distinction is that the amqp1.0 driver in
oslo.messaging is intended as a protocol based driver and not
targetting any technology. That is to say, that it could be written
using a library that is not qpid-proton and it can talk to any message
router or message broker that has support for amqp 1.0.

The ones we're targetting for the gate are rabbitmq (with the amqp 1.0
plugin enabled) and qpidd.

Since we're at it, let me share some updates:

The driver unittests now run on every python2 job and the work on
python3 is almost done. There's also a functional tests gate like we
have for other drivers.

The missing bit is an integration gate, which we'll be start working
on in the next couple of days.

Hope the above helps clarifying confusions around this driver.

>> zmq - Unit test coverage is 74%. There are no currently active integration
>> tests in OpenStack's infrastructure. Several individuals have self
>> identified as being willing to work on creating them. We have not had
>> the conversations yet about ongoing support. I recommend we continue to
>> support their effort to become policy compliant. If that does not solidify
>> by M3 of Liberty, or if the "new" zmq driver appears with integration
>> tests and support manpower, then we can deprecate at that time.
>
>+1 - I know interest has been growing in this, so let's keep it going
>and see where we end up.
>

>> There's also the question of _how_ to deprecate them. I figure we should
>> deprecate when the driver is loaded. Is there an existing mechanism
>> that someone can point me to, or should I look at adding that to
>> oslo.messaging/stevedore?
>
>Normally we would recommend using versionutils from oslo.log, but we've
>been trying to avoid making oslo.log a dependency of the oslo libs
>because it uses some of them and that introduces cycles. Dims had a
>patch recently that just used a DeprecationWarning, and relied on
>oslo.log to redirect the warning to the log file. That seems like a good
>pattern to repeat.

Can we use debtcollector to decorate the main driver class? A warning
will be printted every time an instance of such class is created
(rather than at import time).

If we don't want to add a dependency on that, we could just use a
DeprecationWarning as Doug mentioned.