[openstack-dev] [Manila] Expected Manila behavior for creation of share from snapshot

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 14:24:47 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Ben Swartzlander <ben at swartzlander.org>
wrote:

>  On 06/18/2015 07:08 AM, Deepak Shetty wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Ben Swartzlander <ben at swartzlander.org>
> wrote:
>
>>  On 06/03/2015 12:43 PM, Deepak Shetty wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Valeriy Ponomaryov <
>> vponomaryov at mirantis.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Deepak,
>>>
>>>  "transfer-*" is not suitable in this particular case. Usage of share
>>> networks causes creation of resources, when "transfer" does not. Also in
>>> this topic we have "creation" of new share based on some snapshot.
>>>

>>  In the original mail it was said:
>> "
>> From user point of view, he may want to copy share and use its copy in
>> different network and it is valid case.
>> "
>>  So create share from snapshot, then transfer that share to a different
>> tenant , doesn't that work ?
>>

>>  Transferring shares between tenants is not something we've discussed
>> before. The cinder project allows transferring of volumes but its easier
>> for them to implement that feature because they don't have the concepts of
>> share networks and share servers to tie the share to a tenant.
>>
>> We implemented "public shares" which allows a similar use case where 1
>> tenant can allow others to read/write to a share and should address many of
>> the same use cases that share transferring would address.
>>
>> -Ben
>>

>>>  Valeriy

>  I agree that 'share transfer' (like volume transfer of cinder) would be
> more complex, but shouldn't be impossible.
>  IIUC Its eq to creating a new share for the destination tenant (which is
> same as create share for that tenant) and then copy data (or allow backend
> to optimize if possible) then delete the source share
>

> Yes, we can implement a share transfer, but I'm arguing that we don't need
> to. Such a feature would be a lot of effort to implement for (arguably)
> little gain.

Well, I would argue that 'transfer' as a API does have value and
implementation being simple/complex shouldn't matter as long as there is
'value' in the API, so I disagree a bit here.

>  Didn't knew this.... just wondering, this means the public share can be
> accessed by multiple tenants ? Doesn't that break the tenant isolation ?
>

> Yes this was the point of public shares. It doesn't break tenant isolation
> any more than a feature like share transfer would. It's optional and

Not really, public share (IIUC) allows > 1 tenant to access/share the share
at the same time, while transfer ensures exclusivity to one share at a
time, so they are different

thanx,
deepak

you have to turn it on explicitly on a per-share basis. Also, the most