[openstack-dev] Debian already using Python 3.5: please gate on that

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Jun 18 13:44:17 UTC 2015

Hi!

tl;dr: skip this message, the subject line is enough! :)

As per the subject line, we already have Python 3.5 in Debian (AFAICT,
from Debian Experimental, in version beta 2). As a consequence, we're
already running (unit) tests using Python 3.5. Some have failures: I
could see issues in ceilometerclient, keystoneclient, glanceclient and
more (yes, I am planning to report these issues, and we already started
doing so). As Python 3.4 is still the default interpreter for
/usr/bin/python3, that's currently fine, but it soon wont be.

All this to say: if you are currently gating on Python 3, please start
slowly adding support for 3.5, as we're planning to switch to that for
Debian 9 (aka Stretch). I believe Ubuntu will follow (as the Python core
packages are imported from Debian).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)