[openstack-dev] [Manila] Expected Manila behavior for creation of share from snapshot

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Thu Jun 18 03:13:31 UTC 2015

On 06/03/2015 12:43 PM, Deepak Shetty wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Valeriy Ponomaryov
> <vponomaryov at mirantis.com <mailto:vponomaryov at mirantis.com>> wrote:
>
>     Deepak,
>
>     "transfer-*" is not suitable in this particular case. Usage of
>     share networks causes creation of resources, when "transfer" does
>     not. Also in this topic we have "creation" of new share based on
>     some snapshot.
>

> In the original mail it was said:
> "
> From user point of view, he may want to copy share and use its copy in
> different network and it is valid case.
> "
> So create share from snapshot, then transfer that share to a different
> tenant , doesn't that work ?

Transferring shares between tenants is not something we've discussed
before. The cinder project allows transferring of volumes but its easier
for them to implement that feature because they don't have the concepts
of share networks and share servers to tie the share to a tenant.

We implemented "public shares" which allows a similar use case where 1
tenant can allow others to read/write to a share and should address many
of the same use cases that share transferring would address.

-Ben