[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Jun 16 21:56:20 UTC 2015

On 06/16/2015 12:06 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>> It also removes the stupid encouragement to use all components from the
>>> same date. With everything tagged at the same date, you kinda send the
>>> message that those various things should be used together. With
>>> everything tagged separately, you send te message that you can mix and
>>> match components from stable/* as you see fit. I mean, it's totally
>>> valid to use stable branch components from various points in time
>>> together, since they are all supposed to work.
>>
>> Though there's now zero guidance at what should be the speed of
>> releasing server packages to our users.
>
> I really think it should be a distribution decision. You could release
> all commits, release every 2 months, release after each CVE, release
> as-needed when a bug in Debian BTS is fixed. I don't see what "guidance"
> upstream should give, apart from enabling all models. Currently we make
> most models more difficult than they should be, to promote an arbitrary
> time-based model. With plan D, we enable all models.

Let me put this in another way: with the plan D, I'll be lost, and wont
ever know when to release a new stable version in Debian. I don't know
better than anyone else. If we had each upstream project saying
individually: "Ok, now we gathered enough bugfixes so that it's
important to get it in downstream distributions", I'd happily follow
this kind of guidance. But the plan is to just commit bugfixes, and hope
that downstream distros (ie: me in this case) just catch when a new
release worse the effort.

> As pointed elsewhere, plan D assumes we move to generating release notes
> for each commit. So you won't lose track of what is fixed in each
> version. If anything, that will give you proper release notes for
> CVE-fix commits, something you didn't have before, since we wouldn't cut
> a proper point release after a CVE fix but on a pre-determined
> time-based schedule.
>
> Overall, I think even your process stands to benefit from the proposed
> evolution.

I just hope so. If any core / PTL is reading me in this thread, I would
strongly encourage you guys to get in touch and ping me when you think
some commits in the stable release should be uploaded to Debian. A quick
message on IRC can be enough.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)