[openstack-dev] [grenade] future direction on partial upgrade support

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Jun 16 18:19:08 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-16 12:58:18 -0400 (-0400), Sean Dague wrote:
[...]
> I think the only complexity here is the fact that grenade.sh
> implicitly drives stack.sh. Which means one of:
>
> 1) devstack-gate could build the worker first, then run grenade.sh
>
> 2) we make it so grenade.sh can execute in parts more easily, so
> it can hand something else running stack.sh for it.'
>
> 3) we make grenade understand the subnode for partial upgrade, so
> it will run the stack phase on the subnode itself (given
> credentials).
[...]

As a point of reference, have a look at Clark's change which
introduced Ansible for driving commands on arbitrary systems in a
devstack-gate based job:

    https://review.openstack.org/172614

The idea is that you wrap all relevant commands in calls to ansible,
and then the only additional logic you need to abstract out is the
decision of which node(s) you want running those commands. It
generalizes fine to a single-node solution so that you don't need to
maintain separate multi-node-vs-single-node frameworks.
--
Jeremy Stanley