[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Tue Jun 16 16:41:00 UTC 2015

On 06/15/2015 01:43 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
> While I agree those points are valid, and going to be helpful, moving
> under OpenStack (even Stackforge) does also offer the chance to get more
> test integration upstream (not saying this was the original scope).
> However, this could also be achieved by 3rd party integration too.

Nod, 3rd party integration is worth exploring.

> I'm still driving forward with some -infra specific packaging for Debian
> / Fedora ATM (zuul packaging). Mostly because of -infra needs for
> packages. Not saying that is a reason to reconsider, but there is the
> need for -infra to consume packages from upstream.

I suspect that, at least initially, the needs of -infra specific
packaging will be quite different than the needs of general-purpose
packaging in Debian/Fedora distros. Trying to tightly couple the two
will just bog you down in trying to solve far too many problems for far
too many people. But, I also suspect that -infra packaging will be quite
minimal and intended for the services to be configured by puppet, so
there's a very good chance that if you sprint ahead and just do it, your
style of packaging will end up feeding back into future packaging in the
distros.

Allison