[openstack-dev] [all][release] summit session summary: Release Versioning for Server Applications

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jun 16 09:45:51 UTC 2015

Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
> I put together a little script [1] to try to count the previous
> releases for projects, to use that as the basis for their first
> SemVer-based version number. I pasted the output into an etherpad
> [2] and started making notes about proposed release numbers at the
> top. For now, I'm only working with the projects that have been
> managed by the release team (have the "release:managed" tag in the
> governance repository), but it should be easy enough for other projects
> to use the same idea to pick a version number.

Your script missed 2015.1 tags for some reason...

I still think we should count the number of "integrated" releases
instead of the number of releases (basically considering pre-integration
releases as 0.x releases). That would give:

ceilometer 5.0.0
cinder 7.0.0
glance 11.0.0
heat 5.0.0
horizon 8.0.0
ironic 2.0.0
keystone 8.0.0
neutron* 7.0.0
nova 12.0.0
sahara 3.0.0
trove 4.0.0

We also traditionally "managed" the previously-incubated projects. That
would add the following to the mix:

barbican 1.0.0
designate 1.0.0
manila 1.0.0