[openstack-dev] [nova] Online Migrations.

Philip Schwartz philip.schwartz at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jun 16 00:34:18 UTC 2015

I discussed this a bit earlier with John and we came up with a thought that I was going to present after getting a little bit more documentation and spec around. With out going into too much detail, here is the basics of the idea.

Add a new column to all data models that allow us to inject with insert/update of rows the version of the Nova object it is for. Then we can add logic that prevents the contract from being run till a condition is met for a specific period of time after an object version has been deprecated. Once the depreciation window passes, it would be safe to remove the column form the model and contract the DB. This fits with our current thinking and the ability for conductor to down cast objects to older object versions and best of all, it is easy for us to maintain and access as the version for each row creation has access to the nova object and the version set in the object class.

If we set the criteria for breaking backwards compatibility and object downgrading with a new major version `VERSION = ‘2.0’` we know at that point it is safe to remove columns from the model that became deprecated prior to ‘2.0’ and allow the contract to run as long as all rows of data have a version in them of ‘2.0’.

This does not have to be a major version and could really just be an arbitrary object version + N that we decide as a community.

-Ph