[openstack-dev] [all] [stable] No longer doing stable point releases

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jun 15 21:24:36 UTC 2015

On 06/15/2015 05:19 PM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
> On 6/15/15, 09:24, "Thomas Goirand" <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
>
>> On 06/08/2015 01:55 PM, Kuvaja, Erno wrote:
>>> One thing I like about plan D
>>> is that it would give also indicator how much the stable branch has
>>> moved in
>>> each individual project.
>>
>> The only indication you will get is how many patches it has. I fail to
>> see how this is valuable information. No info on how important they are
>> or anything of this kind, which is a way more important.
>>
>> Thomas
>
> Are you implying that stable point releases as they exist today provide
> importance? How is that case?

I'm just replying to Kuvaja, Erno, who pretends that plan D will give
"indicator how much the stable branch has moved in". My answer is: not
it wont. Maybe there was lots of cosmetic patches (like typos, man page,
or who knows...). The number of patch is an indication of ... nothing,
really!

The only way to have indications is release notes. Since it looks like
there's not enough resources to write them, we're giving up on them.
It's really a shame, because I'm sure it was valuable for our users.

Thomas