[openstack-dev] [Magnum] TLS Support in Magnum

Madhuri Rai madhuri.rai07 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 05:30:49 UTC 2015

Hi All,

This is to bring the blueprint  secure-kubernetes
<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/+spec/secure-kubernetes> in
discussion.
I have been trying to figure out what could be the possible change area to
support this feature in Magnum. Below is just a rough idea on how to
proceed further on it.

This task can be further broken in smaller pieces.

*1. Add support for TLS in python-k8sclient.*
The current auto-generated code doesn't support TLS. So this work will be
to add TLS support in kubernetes python APIs.

*2. Add support for Barbican in Magnum.*
Barbican will be used to store all the keys and certificates.

*3. Add support of TLS in Magnum.*
This work mainly involves supporting the use of key and certificates in
magnum to support TLS.

The user generates the keys, certificates and store them in Barbican. Now
there is two way to access these keys while creating a bay.

1. Heat will access Barbican directly.
While creating bay, the user will provide this key and heat templates will
fetch this key from Barbican.

2. Magnum-conductor access Barbican.
While creating bay, the user will provide this key and then
Magnum-conductor will fetch this key from Barbican and provide this key to
heat.

Then heat will copy this files on kubernetes master node. Then bay will use
this key to start a Kubernetes services signed with these keys.

After discussion when we all come to same point, I will create separate
blueprints for each task.
I am currently working on configuring Kubernetes services with TLS keys.

Please provide your suggestions if any.

Regards,
Madhuri