[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Add periodic task threading for conductor server

Qiao,Liyong liyong.qiao at intel.com
Mon Jun 15 01:38:15 UTC 2015

hi magnum team,

I am planing to add periodic task for magnum conductor service, it will
be good
to sync task status with heat and container service. and I have already
have a WIP
patch[1], I'd like to start a discussion on the implement.

Currently, conductor service is an rpc server, and it has several handlers
     endpoints = [
         docker_conductor.Handler(),
         k8s_conductor.Handler(),
         bay_conductor.Handler(),
         conductor_listener.Handler(),
     ]
all handler runs in the rpc server.

1. my patch [1] is to add periodic task functions in each handlers (if
it requires such tasks)
and setup these functions when start rpc server, add them to a thread group.
so for example:

if we have task in bay_conductor.Handler() and docker_conductor.Handler(),
then adding 2 threads to current service's tg. each thread run it own
periodic tasks.

the advantage is we separate each handler's task job to separate thread.
but hongbin's concern is if it will has some impacts on horizontally
scalability.

2. another implement is put all tasks in a thread, this thread will run all
tasks(for bay,k8s, docker etc), just like sahara does see [2]

3 last one is start a new service in a separate process to run tasks.( I
think this
will be too heavy/wasteful)

I'd like to get what's your suggestion, thanks in advance.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/187090/4
[2]
https://github.com/openstack/sahara/blob/master/sahara/service/periodic.py#L118

--