[openstack-dev] [oslo.messaging][zeromq] Next step

ozamiatin ozamiatin at mirantis.com
Fri Jun 12 22:30:26 UTC 2015

Hi, Alec

Thanks for email threads investigation.
I've decided to spend more time to dig into old zmq-related threads too.
Some notes inline.

6/12/15 23:41, Alec Hothan (ahothan) пишет:

> On 6/1/15, 5:03 PM, "Davanum Srinivas" <davanum at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> fyi, the spec for zeromq driver in oslo.messaging is here:
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/187338/1/specs/liberty/zmq-patterns-usage
>> .rst,unified
>>
>> -- dims
> I was about to provide some email comments on the above review off gerrit,
> but figured maybe it would be good to make a quick status of the state of
> this general effort for pushing out a better zmq driver for oslo essaging.
> So I started to look around the oslo/zeromq wiki and saw few email threads
> that drew my interest.
>
> In this email (Nov 2014) Ilya proposes about getting rid of a central
> broker for zmq:
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-November/050701.htm
> Not clear if Ilya already had in mind to instead have a local proxy on
> every node (as proposed in the above spec)
>

> In this email (mar 2014), Yatin described the prospect of using zmq in a
> completely broker-less way (so not even a proxy per node), with the use of
> matchmaker rings to configure well known ports.
This solution with matchmaker-rings looks promising. I figured out that
I've put too little attention to matchmaker-ring. I like it much more than
a name server.
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-March/030411.html
> Which is pretty close to what I think would be a better design (with the
> variant that I'd rather see a robust and highly available name server
> instead of fixed port assignments), I'd be interested to know what
> happened to that proposal and why we ended up with a proxy per node
> solution at this stage (I'll reply to the proxy per node design in a
> separate email to complement my gerrit comments).
>

> I could not find one document that summarizes the list of issues related
> to rabbitMQ deployments, all it appears is that many people are unhappy
> with it, some are willing to switch to zmq, many are hesitant and some are
> decidedly skeptical. On my side I know a number of issues related to oslo
> messaging over rabbitMQ.
>
> I think it is important for the community to understand that of the many
> issues generally attributed to oslo messaging over rabbitMQ, not all of
> them are caused by the choice of rabbitMQ as a transport (and hence those
> will likely not be fixed if we just switched from rabbitMQ to ZMQ) and
> many are actually caused by the misuse of oslo messaging by the apps
> (Neutron, Nova...) and can only be fixed by modification of the app code.
Agree. During intergration process of new ZeroMQ driver we will probably
need to push a series of changes to make services a proper usage of
oslo.messaging.
As an example Neutron makes fork process and breaks global zmq Context.
There were also some issues with rabbitmq heartbeats implementation
because of that fork
as I remember.

> I think personally that there is a strong case for a properly designed ZMQ
> driver but we first need to make the expectations very clear.
+1

> One long standing issue I can see is the fact that the oslo messaging API
> documentation is sorely lacking details on critical areas such as API
> behavior during fault conditions, load conditions and scale conditions.
> As a result, app developers are using the APIs sometimes indiscriminately
> and that will have an impact on the overall quality of openstack in
> deployment conditions.
> I understand that a lot of the existing code was written in a hurry and
> good enough to work properly on small setups, but some code will break
> really badly under load or when things start to go south in the cloud.
> That is unless the community realizes that perhaps there is something that
> needs to be done.
>
> We're only starting to see today things breaking under load because we
> have more lab tests at scale, more deployments at scale and we only start
> to see real system level testing at scale with HA testing (the kind of
> test where you inject load and cause failures of all sorts). Today we know
> that openstack behaves terribly in these conditions, even in so-called HA
> deployments!
>
> As a first step, would it be useful to have one single official document
> that characterizes all the issues we're trying to fix and perhaps used
> that document as a basis for showing which of all these issues will be
> fixed by the use of the zmq driver?
Of course it would be very useful. +1 for making such doc.