[openstack-dev] [nova] Should we add instance action event to live migration?

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Thu Jun 11 19:07:49 UTC 2015

On 06/11/15 at 02:47pm, Jay Pipes wrote:
>On 06/03/2015 04:39 AM, Rui Chen wrote:
>>Hi all:
>>     We have the instance action and action event for most of the
>>instance operations,
>>
>>exclude: live-migration. In the current master code, when we do
>>live-migration, the
>>
>>instance action is recorded, but the action event for live-migration is
>>lost. I'm not sure that
>>
>>it's a bug or design behavior, so I want to get more feedback in mail list.
>
>Seems like that would be a bug.
>
>>     I found the patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/95440/
>>
>>     It's add the live migration action, but no event. It looks weird.
>>
>>     I think there are two improvement we can do
>>
>>     [1]: add the live migration event, keep consistence with other
>>instance operations.
>
>++
>
>>     [2]: remove the live migration action in order to make the
>>operation transparent to end-users, like Andrew say in the patch comments.
>
>I guess I'm confused why we would want to make the operation
>transparent to end-users? Andrew, what was your thought on that?

Just that it's something the user shouldn't need to care about.  A
live-migration is not a user initiated event, though I suppose it could
be in some deployments, and the end result is that the instance is
running on another host with no other appreciable change.

There are many reasons a deployer may want to live-migrate instances
around: capacity planning, security patching, noisy neighbors, host
maintenance, etc... and I just don't think the user needs to know or
care that it has taken place.

I'm not against exposing it, but I do think that some operators will
want the option to live-migrate without informing their users.