[openstack-dev] [Networking] Support for multiple gateways in neutron/nova-net subnets for provider networks

Shraddha Pandhe shraddha.pandhe at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 19:03:58 UTC 2015

Hi,
Currently, the Subnets in Neutron and Nova-Network only support one gateway. For provider networks in large data centers, quite often, the architecture is such a way that multiple gateways are configured per subnet. These multiple gateways are typically spread across backplanes so that the production traffic can be load-balanced between backplanes.This is just my use case for supporting multiple gateways, but other folks might have more use cases as well and also want to take the community's opinion about this feature. Is this something that's going to help a lot of users?I want to open up a discussion on this topic and figure out the best way to handle this.
1. Should this be done in a same way as dns-nameserver, with a separate table with two columns: gateway_ip, subnet_id.2. Should Gateway field be converted to a List instead of String?