[openstack-dev] [neutron][L3] L3 routed network segments

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Thu Jun 11 16:26:15 UTC 2015

Neil,

I'm very glad to here of your interest.  I have been talking with Kyle
Mestery about the rfe you mention [1] since the day he filed it.  It
relates to a blueprint that I have been trying to get traction on [2]
in various forms for a while [*].

The rfe talks about attaching VMs directly to the the L3 routed
network.  This will require some coordination between ip address
assignment and scheduling of the instance to a compatible physical
server.

My blueprint, on the other hand, tries to maintain IP mobility across
the network by relying on the BGP speaker work:  another BP we've been
trying to get traction on for a while.  I also limit the connections
to the L3 routed network to virtual routers for now.

The two have network segments in common.  So, as I proceed on the
implementation of my blueprint [2], I will keep in mind the needs of
the rfe [1] and build network segments in a way which can be utilized
by both.  However, I will leave the coordination of VM scheduling and
IP address assignment to someone else.  Does this all make sense?

Currently, I have my development efforts mostly consumed in the
address scopes blueprint.  However, I would like to find a way to pass
that on soon so that I can turn my attention toward the network
segments work.

Let's find some time to look at what first steps we can get started.
Ping me directly on IRC.

Carl

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1458890
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/172244/
[*] You're not the only one having trouble getting traction.
Sometimes it takes a while to realize that we're interested in similar
things and to find the commonalities and then to get people excited
about something.  It has been an uphill battle for me until recently.