[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 10:29:45 UTC 2015

On 10/06/15 12:07, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 10 June 2015 at 20:12, Matthias Runge <mrunge at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Since our software is to be consumed by packages, shouldn't the packages
>> project consider itself to be responsible for global requirements? I.e.
>> checking, if requirements are packageable, if versions fit, etc.
>
> I think we welcome input from distribution maintainers on
> global-requirements; especially for new packages.
>
> But, the responsibility is ultimately a team effort: all the
> components of openstack have to meet the operator/distributor
> co-installability requirement. If one project has a minimum version of
> X, its not possible for other projects to have a max version of < X
> otherwise we're not coinstallable. This works both ways of course.

My wording was not that good here.

I know, some distro packagers are already looking at changes, but maybe
this could be improved, i.e. intensified? It was more about: giving this
more basic openstack effort a home in a project.

>> In some distros, there are multiple versions of the same package allowed, in
>> others, it's forbidden.
>
> Thats true, but its also a per-distro thing. Within a distro you need
> to be consistent. There's no need for RHEL to match RDO for instance,
> and trying to make that happen across a dozen redistributors in the
> OpenStack context makes no sense at all. We're moving to making our
> ranges as wide as we can to make life easier for anyone that wants to
> pick slightly different versions: we can't assert that it will work,
> but unless we know it doesnt', we won't preclude you trying :)

Yes, that's right. But distros have an interest in being able to install
the full stack somewhere. If we have conflicting requirements preventing
that, it should be a target of the packaging project, to fix this.
Currently, we (as OpenStack devs) are offloading those checks (and
fixes) completely to distributions.

Matthias