[openstack-dev] doubt about static routes and host routes

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 09:45:31 UTC 2015

Yes, static routes can be added to the router:
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/42529/how-to-add-extra-static-route-in-neutron-havana/

host_routes are routes advertised to the clients via DHCP, they don't apply
to the router.

>I also would like to know use case of static routes of router and
--host_routes of subnet ?

Static routes can be used to get to a subnet reachable via one of your
instances that acts as a router. That's just one use case.

host_routes can achieve something similar so the instances don't have to go
through the router if they are on the same subnet as the next hop.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 2:12 AM, Saju M <sajuptpm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can we add static routes to the router which created by "#neutron
> router-create" command ?
>
> What is the defference static routes of router and --host_routes of subnet
> ?
>
> I also would like to know use case of static routes of router and
> --host_routes of subnet ?
>
> Regards
> Saju Madhavan
> +91 09535134654