[openstack-dev] [QA] [Ironic] [Inspector] Where should integration tests for non-core projects live now? (Was: Toward 2.0.0 release)

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 07:11:48 UTC 2015

Hi, QA folks!

As ironic-inspector is joining the openstack/* crows, we're faces with
integration testing question. At the summit we discussed with Devananda
that it makes sense for inspector + ironic integration test to live in
tempest with other bare metal tests.

However, judging by
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-QA-in-the-big-tent even Ironic
integration tests will no longer be welcome in Tempest itself, to say
nothing about pretty new Inspector.

Are there any hints now on where we can start with our integration
tests? After a quick look at devstack-gate I got an impression that it's
expecting tests as part of tempest:
https://github.com/openstack-infra/devstack-gate/blob/master/devstack-vm-gate.sh#L600

Our final goal is to have devstack gate test for Ironic and Inspector
projects working together.

Cheers,
Dmitry

On 06/10/2015 08:07 AM, Yuiko Takada wrote:
> Hi, Dmitry,
>
>     I guess the whole idea of new release models is NOT to tie projects
>     to each other any more except for The Big Release twice a year :) So
>     I think no, we don't need to. We still can do it, if we have
>     something to release by the time Ironic releases, but I suggest
>     deciding it on case-by-case basis.
>
> OK, I see.
>
> One more concern, about Tempest integration test which I will implement
> in V2.1.0,
> it seems like that we cannot add Ironic-inspector's tests into Tempest
> even if integration tests.
> Please see:
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-QA-in-the-big-tent

Good catch. I guess the answer depends on where Ironic integration tests
are going to live - we're going to live with them. Let me retarget this
thread to a wider audience.