[openstack-dev] [Nova] Liberty Priorties for Nova

Neil Jerram Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
Tue Jun 9 14:07:51 UTC 2015

On 04/06/15 13:05, Neil Jerram wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 04/06/15 12:21, John Garbutt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We had a great discussion at the summit around priorities:
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-nova-liberty-priorities
>>
>> I have made a stab at writing that up here, please to review if you
>> are interested:
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/187272/
>>
>> Note we plan to keep focus on the reviews using the etherpad like we
>> did in kilo:
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/liberty-nova-priorities-tracking
>
> As you may have seen, I've collated libvirt/VIF type work at
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/liberty-nova-libvirt-vif-work.  Where
> would you prefer any discussion about that to continue?  Here on the ML,
> or in that review job?

Hello again...

So, just pinging again about the libvirt/VIF type work that I've
collated at
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/liberty-nova-libvirt-vif-work.  I'm
keen if possible to have some kind of next step for discussing whether
and how this work can be integrated into Nova's Liberty cycle.

I wonder if it would help to present this work at a higher level -
especially as it's really a grouping of three different kinds of work,
and it may be that there is an elephant in the room of one of those
kinds, which needs to be brought more into the open.

Firstly there is a group of simple changes for new VIF types: TAP,
macvtap, Infiniband SR-IOV; and removal of mlnx_direct.  Changes of
similar intent, scale and scope went in during Kilo, and I imagine that
these could be reviewed and merged quite quickly, at any time from now
on.  It would be nice from my point of view to have that 'done', and
perhaps from others' point of view too.

Secondly there is the VIF plug script idea, and it's here that the
elephant may be.  I'm afraid that some of the interested people
(including me) missed it, but I heard that the core team discussed this
and expressed concern, in one of the Vancouver sessions, about 'not
wanting Nova to become a pass-through API'.  Since then, spec work has
continued, but the only core input has come from Dan PB, who wasn't in
that Vancouver session - so I'm worried that the Nova core team as a
whole might not support this idea, and that the ongoing spec refinement
might turn out to be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Finally there is Brent's VIF model refactoring, where work is still in
progress.

So, it would be really great to get an indication of the core team's
view of support for these things, of whether it's feasible for them to
land during Liberty, and of any next steps that we need to work on,
towards those ends.  If appropriate, perhaps by adding these to the
discussion agenda for the next IRC meeting?

Many thanks,
	Neil