[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jun 8 21:36:41 UTC 2015

On 06/08/2015 10:39 AM, James Page wrote:
> On 02/06/15 23:41, James E. Blair wrote:
>> 3) What are the plans for repositories and their contents?
>
>> What repos will be created, and what will be in them.  When will
>> new ones be created, and is there any process around that.
>
> Having taken some time to think about this over the weekend, I'm keen
> to ensure that any packaging repositories that move upstream are
> packaging for OpenStack and other OpenStack umbrella projects.
>
> Thomas - how many of the repositories under the pkg-openstack team in
> Debian fall into this category - specifically projects under
> /openstack or /stackforge namespaces?
>
> I don't think we should be upstreaming packaging for the wider
> OpenStack dependency chain - the Debian Python modules team is a much
> larger team of interested contributors and better place for this sort
> of work.

Ok, let's work this list of packages out.

The full list of packages currently maintained within the Debian
OpenStack PKG team is here:
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=openstack-devel%40lists.alioth.debian.org

I have sorted this list into categories, and sorted these categories in
an increasing order of likelihood to be maintained in upstream gerrit.

On the below list, I believe we should have in upstream gerrit, at least:
- OpenStack maintained libraries and clients
- Debian specific packages (because that's needed tools for building and
running a Debian package based CI)
- server packages

All the 3rd party Python modules could either stay within the PKG
OpenStack Debian team, or move to the DPMT (Debian Python Module Team).
Though I will *refuse* that these packages are switched from Git to SVN,
so we will have to wait until the DPMT finishes the switch. I've heard
that Tumbleweed (that's a nick name...) is close to have this migration
finished though.

Also, probably it would make sense to keep some of the tooling within
the PKG OpenStack group. I'm thinking about all the unit test stuff,
like testr, subunit, and all of its dependencies (testtools,
testscenarios, etc.). Maybe it's a good fit for upstream packaging too?
Please voice your opinion here.

I would then like to keep "side packages" and "Key dependencies" within
the PKG OpenStack group in alioth.debian.org.

This overall means that we'd push 107 repositories to Gerrit, and even
119 if we include TripleO. And of course, this list would grow over time
(because that's OpenStack you know... things always grow, and never
shrink...).

It took me some time to produce this list below. I hope that's useful.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

"side" packages (7):
--------------------
cobbler
ftp-cloudfs
git-review
ntpstat
q-text-as-data
sftpcloudfs
sheepdog

Key dependencies (4):
---------------------
alembic
migrate
novnc
rabbitmq-server

3rd party Python modules (101):
-------------------------------
cliff-tablib
factory-boy
python-aioeventlet
python-autobahn
python-cloudfiles
python-coffin
python-colander
python-concurrent.futures
python-couleur
python-crcmod
python-croniter
python-daemonize
python-ddt
python-django-appconf
python-django-bootstrap-form
python-django-compressor
python-django-discover-runner
python-django-pyscss
python-dogpile.cache
python-dogpile.core
python-eventlet
python-extras
python-falcon
python-gabbi
python-greenio
python-happybase
python-httpretty
python-hurry.filesize
python-ibm-db-sa
python-invocations
python-invoke
python-jingo
python-json-patch
python-json-pointer
python-jsonpath-rw
python-jsonrpclib
python-jsonschema
python-kafka
python-ldappool
python-lesscpy
python-logutils
python-misaka
python-mockito
python-mox3
python-nose-exclude
python-nose-parameterized
python-nose-testconfig
python-nose-timer
python-nosehtmloutput
python-pecan
python-pint
python-posix-ipc
python-proboscis
python-protorpc-standalone
python-pyghmi
python-pygit2
python-pykmip
python-pymemcache
python-pymysql
python-pysaml2
python-pyvmomi
python-rednose
python-requestbuilder
python-requests-kerberos
python-requests-mock
python-retrying
python-rfc3986
python-rtslib-fb
python-rudolf
python-scciclient
python-seamicroclient
python-semantic-version
python-semver
python-sockjs-tornado
python-sphinxcontrib.plantuml
python-steadymark
python-sure
python-sysv-ipc
python-tablib
python-tasklib
python-termcolor
python-termstyle
python-testscenarios
python-trollius
python-txaio
python-warlock
python-wrapt
python-wsgi-intercept
python-wsme
python-xmlbuilder
python-xvfbwrapper
python-yaql
python-zake
sphinxcontrib-docbookrestapi
sphinxcontrib-httpdomain
sphinxcontrib-pecanwsme
sphinxcontrib-programoutput
spice-html5
subunit
testresources
websockify

TripleO (12):
-------------
python-dib-utils
python-diskimage-builder
python-os-apply-config
python-os-client-config
python-os-cloud-config
python-os-collect-config
python-os-net-config
python-os-refresh-config
tripleo-heat-templates
tripleo-image-elements
tuskar
tuskar-ui

server packages (25):
---------------------
barbican
ceilometer
cinder
designate
glance
heat
heat-cfntools
horizon
ironic
keystone
murano
murano-agent
murano-dashboard
networking-arista
networking-mlnx
neutron
neutron-fwaas
neutron-lbaas
neutron-vpnaas
nova
openstack-trove
rally
sahara
swift
swift-plugin-s3

Debian specific packages (3):
-----------------------------
openstack-debian-images
openstack-meta-packages
openstack-pkg-tools

OpenStack maintained libraries and clients (79):
openstack-doc-tools
openstack-nose
oslo-config
oslo-sphinx