[openstack-dev] [app-catalog] Updating existing artifacts on storage.apps.openstack.org

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Mon Jun 8 18:41:36 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 4:47 AM, Serg Melikyan <smelikyan at mirantis.com> wrote:
> We found few issues with images used by murano application and we
> would like to update them. What is procedure for updating existing
> images/apps hosted on storage.apps.openstack.org?

This question hits on some really important points:

-The CDN lives on Rackspace at the moment.  Update/Add/Delete actions
are manual, and managed by me at the moment.  This is not desirable,
but was a concession we had to make in order to get something up and
running in time for the summit.

-The app catalog has no concept of versions.  To your specific point,
there are binary assets that need to be updated, but there's no
reasonable way to update them (manual process is unreasonable IMO).
Ultimately I don't think any asset (blob or text in yaml) should go in
to the catalog without being versioned.

-Hosting binary assets could potentially be of concern due to
licensing and liability issues.  Right not it's not a significant
concern as we can make it clear anything downloaded requires total
assumption of risk on the part of the downloader.  Maybe it's never
going to be a significant concern (dockerhub has a whole lot of
content, and nobody has sued them AFAIK).

I would like to work with the OpenStack infra team to migrate the CDN
components to swift managed by the community (similar to what I'm
working on for the web site itself).  Handling this content
programatically would be excellent, but I'm not sure the best way to
proceed.  Do we continue hosting on RAX and managing manually while we
work on a more thorough approach hosted on OpenStack infra?

At any rate Serg to directly answer your question on how to update
binary assets - I would suggest a new CR with a link to where the new
binary can be found (including the associated md5 or sha), with a
clear note in the commit message that this updated an existing binary
asset living on the CDN.  As long as the volume does not become
tremendous, this seems to me like a workable solution for now.

-Christopher