[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jun 8 16:35:52 UTC 2015

On 06/08/2015 10:26 AM, James Page wrote:
> The Ubuntu packaging is used widely by end-users and a number of other
> projects including the OpenStack Puppet and Chef modules as well as
> the Juju charms for OpenStack - any changes to structure and behaviour
> are going to have much wider impact and I'm keen to ensure that we
> consider the requirements of our end users before we consider any full
> convergence objectives.

I don't know for the Chef and Juju charms projects, but for puppet, I
know that they do work with the Debian packages (also because I added a
bunch of Provides:). When I was working with Emilien Macchi, he made it
so it would.

For a number of packages, it will be trivial. Only for ultra-complex
cases, like Nova and Neutron, it's going to be harder. But I'm sure we
can achieve something for packages like Cinder, Glance, etc.

Now, I started this proposal so that we could work more together. I hope
you aren't backing-up on the promise, and that such an effort to align
all will happen. Sure, announce less, deliver more, but at the same
time, we need a declaration of intend.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)