[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Oslo][RabbitMQ][Shovel] Deprecate mirrored queues from HA AMQP cluster scenario

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobrelia at mirantis.com
Mon Jun 8 10:24:18 UTC 2015

Hello, stackers.

I'd like to bring out a poll about deprecating the RabbitMQ mirrored
queues for HA layout and replacing the AMQP clustering by shovel [0],
[1]. I guess the federation would not be a good option, but let's
consider it as well.

Why this must be done? The answer is that the rabbit cluster cannot
detect and survive "micro outages" well and just ending up with some
queues stuck and as a result, the rabbitmqctl control plane hanged
completely unresponsive (until the rabbit node erased and recovered its
cluster membership). These outages could be caused either by the network
*or* by CPU load spikes. For example, like this bug in Fuel project [2]
and this mail thread [3].

So, let's please vote and discuss.

But the questions also are:
a) Would be there changes in Oslo.messaging required as well in order to
support the underlying AMQP layer architecture changes?
b) Are there any volunteers for this research to be done for the
Oslo.messaging AMQP rabbit driver?

PS. Note, I'm not bringing RabbitMQ versions here as the issue seems
unresolved for any of existing ones. This seems rather the Erlang's
Mnesia generic clustering issue, than something what could be just fixed
in RabbitMQ, unless the mnesia based clustering would be dropped
completely ;)

[0] https://www.rabbitmq.com/shovel-dynamic.html
[1] https://www.rabbitmq.com/shovel.html
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1460762