[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Jun 8 06:32:15 UTC 2015

On 06/04/2015 01:25 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 06/03/2015 08:07 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>> On 06/03/2015 03:57 PM, James Page wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> After some discussion with Thomas on IRC, I think this is more than
>>> one effort; The skills and motivation for developers reviewing
>>> proposed packaging changes needs to be aligned IMO - so I think it
>>> makes sense to split the packaging teams between:
>>>
>>>    Debian/Ubuntu + derivatives
>>>    CentOS/Fedora/RHEL + derivatives
>>
>> So, would this be two packaging teams - on DEB team and one RPM team?
>
> Yes.
>
>> How would those two teams collaborate - or is no collaboration needed?
>
> I don't see what there would be collaboration on. Even the thing we work
> on is called differently (ie: "specs" in Red Hat, and "source packages"
> in Debian/Ubuntu). Though if there are things on which we can converge
> (like package names maybe?), it would be a good thing for final users.

The "control files" (specs, deb) are indeed different, the question is
what they can share.

I see collaboration possibilities on package names and layout - like how
to split a package up -, configuration files, defaults... This doesn't
need to be a first step but something to consider when packaging new
repositories.

>> How are you handling Debian and Ubuntu differences?
>
> There's not so much difference already on the Python module
> dependencies, as Ubuntu imports packages from Debian. They imported 100%
> of my work for Juno, then diverged for Kilo since I didn't upload (as
> Jessie was frozen). Now that's the only difference we need to "fix", and
> James is already working on that.
>
> We already work on some packages together (like James Page and myself
> are co-maintaining rabbitmq-server (he did most of it, shame on me)).
>
> As for the core OpenStack packages, what I wrote works already on Ubuntu
> if you rebuild the package, though it may need a few fix here and there
> for version dependencies (as Jessie was frozen after Trusty), but that's
> easy to fix. The harder part will be for Neutron and Nova. In case we
> don't agree at all, we can still use "dpkg-vendors --derive-from ubuntu"
> to check on which distribution we are, and do actions from there.
> There's already such mechanism in the debian/rules file of the Debian
> Nova package for example (to check on the group name for libvirt which
> differs in Debian & Ubuntu). It's not in the Ubuntu version of the
> package, but I'm sure that it will soon land there! :)
>
> The only thing we can't fix will be the Maintainer: and Uploaders:
> field, but even that, maybe we can find a way so we don't have to "fix"
> it either.
>
> So in a smaller amount of words: I'm sure we can find a way to reduce
> our differences to the absolute zero on the source package level, even
> though the result may look different thanks to some conditionals where
> it can't be avoided.

Understood,
Andreas
    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton,
        HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)