[openstack-dev] [nova][all] Architecture Diagrams in ascii art?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Fri Jun 5 16:06:13 UTC 2015

Markus Zoeller wrote:
> Joe Gordon<joe.gordon0 at gmail.com>  wrote on 05/16/2015 03:33:35 AM:
>> After further investigation in blockdiag, is useless for moderately
>> complex diagrams.
>>
>> Here is my attempt at graphing nova [0], but due to a blockdiag bug
>> from 2013, [1] it is impossible to clearly read. For example, in the
>> diagram there is not supposed to be any arrow between the conductor
>> and cinder/glance/neutron. I looked into dia, and while it has plenty
>> of diagram shapes it doesn't have a good template for software
>> architecture, but maybe there is a way to make dia work. And that just
>>   leaves SVG graphics,  after spending an hour or two  playing around
>> with Inkscape and it looks promising (although the learning curve is
>> pretty steep). Here is my first attempt in Inkscape [2].
>>
>> [0] http://interactive.blockdiag.com/?
>>
> compression=deflate&src=eJx9UMtOAzEMvOcrrL0vPwCtVHYryoG2EvSEOHiTtI0axavEFQK0_47dB1oOkEuSmbE9ni6SPbiAO_gyAJviM7yWPfYeJlChZcrV2-2VqafQxOAT62u2fhwTC8rhk9KIkWOMfuBOC0NyPtdLf-
>> RMqX6ImKwXWbN6Wm9e5v9ppNcu07EXi_puVsv2LL-U6jAd8wsSTByJV-QgtibQU-
>> aMgcft4G-
>>
> RcBE7HzWH9h7QWl9KpaMKf0SNxxGzdyfkElgMSVcCS5GyFnYR7aESxCFjh8WPwt1Gerd7zHxzJc9J_2wiW8r93Czm7cnOYAZjhm9d4H0M
>> [1] https://bitbucket.org/blockdiag/blockdiag/issue/45/arrows-collisions
>> [2] https://i.imgur.com/TXwsRoB.png
>>

>> Thanks,
>> John
>
> Maybe the "graphviz" extension for Sphinx could be usefull [1].
> It's better in displaying edges/dependencies [2].

+1

We use pydot2 (which uses graphviz) in ironic and taskflow (and maybe
elsewhere?) already and it seems to have worked out just fine, so if
people find this useful that's great to.

- http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/dev/states.html
- http://docs.openstack.org/developer/taskflow/states.html

Code that generates these:

- https://github.com/openstack/ironic/blob/master/tools/states_to_dot.py