[openstack-dev] [nova][scheduler] Updating Our Concept of Resources

Alexis Lee alexisl at hp.com
Fri Jun 5 14:35:17 UTC 2015

Good summary, Ed!

Ed Leafe said on Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 07:53:02AM -0500:
> > I totally agree the scheduler doesn't have to know anything about
> > flavors though. We should push them out to request validation in the
> > Nova API. This can be considered part of cleaning up the scheduler API.
>
> This idea was also discussed and seemed to get a lot of support. ...
> Don Dugger volunteered to write up a spec for removing flavors from
> the scheduler.

Yay <3

> So did I miss anything? :)

One thing, we also discussed allowing a request to include multiple
flavors. This could be used to mix-and-match pizza-base-flavors with
pizza-topping-flavors. So to escape the pizza metaphor briefly, you
could take XLarge VPS resources with a Medium SSD package and a Small
network package. This approach prevents too much resource fragmentation
and maintains a level of convenience for the user while allowing for an
exponential number of flavor combinations.

Alexis
--
Nova Engineer, HP Cloud.  AKA lealexis, lxsli.