[openstack-dev] [kolla] Kolla Manfiesto Definition

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Thu Jun 4 19:27:12 UTC 2015

Kolla devs,

First off, the Kolla development team did a fantastic job of getting their various thoughts into the Kolla Manfesto etherpad.  It was really something magical to watch and participate in and was a new experience for me :).

I have detected a pattern between different missions that some folks in the Kolla community want to create deployment tools and some want to stay focused only on container content.

If you read my PTL Candidacy[1] announcement for the Liberty cycle, at the time I was more in favor of merging our efforts with OSAD.  I have talked with Kevin Carter, the PTL of OSAD, and we both agree this would be a great long term goal, but we both don’t see how to execute that idea at this point in time.

My candidacy proposal was clear – we are going to deploy OpenStack In containers – how was an implementation detail.  Merging with OSAD was one option, or rolling our own Ansible tools was another.  Then came along a contributor with a complete real implementation of Ansible deployment that is highly compatible with Kolla.  I suggested if he could build a community around doing that work, we would integrate his project [2] with Kolla.  That community has now been built.  There are at-least 5 real developers committed to doing this work.  As such, I’m going to support the community in executing this work in the Kolla project.

For those folks that want to stay focused on container content, stay focused on that.  For those folks that want to focus on deployment, focus on that.  We are a community of developers interested in one common goal “Deploy OpenStack using containers”.

Based upon those facts, I have taken everyone’s input into the manifesto creation and created a new revision.  Keeping in mind that we are going to deploy Openstack to support the growth of our community, would folks that voted originally (and any cores that couldn’t make the meeting) have a look at the semi-final wording I have merged from pdb’s, loth’s, and mandre’s manifesto statements (which had the most votes) and vote +1 (in the etherpad) if you can live with the group-think mission statement we created :)

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kolla-manifesto

Line 5

Once that is finished, we can get on to the real work the community has already committed itself to ;)

Thanks
-steve

[1] http://osdir.com/ml/openstack-dev/2015-03/msg01269.html
[2] https://github.com/SamYaple/yaodu/commit/52323f33168cc9deb871ffbdb70eb4b37d9dae2a