[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Allison Randal allison at lohutok.net
Wed Jun 3 21:41:49 UTC 2015

On 06/03/2015 01:30 PM, Sean Dague wrote:

> So wouldn't that be more of an arguement to move as much of the
> installation logic back into the python packages as possible.
>
> So that "pip install nova" was a thing that you could do, and get
> reasonable results, and then the packaging teams would work around
> bundling that and handling dependencies sanely for their platforms.
>
> The closer we can get logic about what a service should look like on
> disk back into that service itself, the less work duplicated by any of
> the installers, and the more common OpenStack envs would be. The fact
> that every installer / package needs to copy in a bunch of etc files
> (because the python packages don't do it) has always seemed rather odd
> to me.

TBH, I don't think pip or distro packaging are ever going to be the
right answer for fully configuring an OpenStack cloud. Because, there is
no "one true cloud", there are a variety of different configurations and
combinations depending on whether you're in a dev/test scenario, running
a private cloud, a public cloud, how many machines you're deploying to,
what services you want to run on which machines, what your underlying
network looks like, etc, etc...

Having pip or distro packaging that's very opinionated about configuring
a large set of related services is worse than useless when it's fighting
against the configuration you need. It's on the order of installing the
nginx package and finding that apt has set up a Wordpress instance and
database you didn't want or need. Operator's nightmare.

Both pip and distro packaging should be consumable by any set of config
management/orchestration tools, which means just install the software
with minimal configuration.

Allison