[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 19:21:11 UTC 2015

[purely outside-looking-in observation below...]

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> On 06/03/2015 03:57 PM, James Page wrote:
> > [...]
>
>> After some discussion with Thomas on IRC, I think this is more than
>> one effort; The skills and motivation for developers reviewing
>> proposed packaging changes needs to be aligned IMO - so I think it
>> makes sense to split the packaging teams between:
>>
>>   Debian/Ubuntu + derivatives
>>   CentOS/Fedora/RHEL + derivatives
>>

> So, would this be two packaging teams - on DEB team and one RPM team? How
> would those two teams collaborate - or is no collaboration needed?

I think it would be beneficial to have a single team and single PTL with
multiple sets of repos (since the idea of branching per distro seems to be
universally non-favored).  Having a single team to discuss the desired
converged end-results seems like a win to me, then each group goes off to
implement with as much or as little shared process as can be worked out.

Again, from the outside looking in it feels like if there are distinct
teams that we'll repeat the past efforts to converge any practices and
users will continue to have arbitrarily different (from their point of
view) deployments.

This is one reason, btw, that we are starting to work toward pushing some
default configuration practices back into projects out of places like
DevStack where they have become de facto defaults.  hopefully upstream
practices will then trickle back down into actual use.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com