[openstack-dev] [Nova] Release versioning proposal for Liberty

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Wed Jun 3 17:17:42 UTC 2015

On 3 June 2015 at 17:35, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> John Garbutt wrote:
>>> I support moving nova to intermediate release, but not this cycle.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> My main motivation here is actually making it clear how useful a
>> milestone release can be to get access to a feature you really, really
>> need much more quickly.
>>
>> Its a shame its called a "beta", because I think the milestones are
>> more (production) useful than that. On the other had, they are also
>> worse than many "betas" you get (in terms of completed translations
>> and docs, etc). So maybe thats still the best label for the
>> milestones.
>
> It's actually not called a "beta", it's called a "milestone" which is
> slightly less pejorative. The fact that the tag is using "b1" is more an
> artifact of the PEP440 limitations...

Good points.

So for Liberty, it seems the best plan is to improve the documentation
on how useful (or not) Nova's milestone releases are to different
types of users. Turns out every commit already has a version,
currently 2015.2.0.dev<integer>, so we should probably also better
document what using one of those "releases" gives you.

If you want bleeding edge access to a new feature, milestones might be
exactly what you want. But that assumes you don't care about docs and
translations, and you are OK with a certain amount of testing and bug
fixing on top of that. PS you may as well deploy off master at that
point, but if a milestone makes you happier, thats cool.

Thanks,
John