[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Wed Jun 3 16:32:15 UTC 2015

On 06/03/2015 11:23 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 06/03/2015 12:41 AM, James E. Blair wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This came up at the TC meeting today, and I volunteered to provide an
>> update from the discussion.
>
> I've just read the IRC logs. And there's one thing I would like to make
> super clear.
>
> We, ie: Debian & Ubuntu folks, are very much clear on what we want to
> achieve. The project has been maturing in our heads for like more than 2
> years. We would like that ultimately, only a single set of packages Git
> repositories exist. We already worked on *some* convergence during the
> last years, but now we want a *full* alignment.
>
> We're not 100% sure how the implementation details will look like for
> the core packages (like about using the Debconf interface for
> configuring packages), but it will eventually happen. For all the rest
> (ie: Python module packaging), which represent the biggest work, we're
> already converging and this has zero controversy.
>
> Now, the Fedora/RDO/Suse people jumped on the idea to push packaging on
> the upstream infra. Great. That's socially tempting. But technically, I
> don't really see the point, apart from some of the infra tooling (super
> cool if what Paul Belanger does works for both Deb+RPM). Finally,
> indeed, this is not totally baked. But let's please not delay the
> Debian+Ubuntu upstream Gerrit collaboration part because of it. We would
> like to get started, and for the moment, nobody is approving the
> /stackforge/deb-openstack-pkg-tools [1] new repository because we're
> waiting on the TC decision.

I would agree with not gating on stuff that -infra is working on too.
If getting gerrit collaboration is useful to Debian / Ubuntu, simple
gate-noop testing seems like a easy solution.

I agree, anything we in -infra can to do help establish some base
tooling (chroots for example) would be super awesome.  However, I also
have expectation for packagers to use their own toolchains if more
convenient.