[openstack-dev] [all][infra][tc][ptl] Scaling up code review process (subdir cores)

Wed Jun 3 15:26:08 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-06-03 at 17:45 +0300, Boris Pavlovic wrote:
> James B.
>
> One more time.
> Everybody makes mistakes and it's perfectly OK.
> I don't want to punish anybody and my goal is to make system
> that catch most of them (human mistakes) no matter how it is complicated.

I'm not saying never do systems to catch human mistakes, I'm saying it's
a tradeoff: you have to assess what the consequence of the caught
mistake is vs how much bother is it to implement and maintain the system
that would have caught the mistake (and how much annoyance does it
cause).  Complexity kills, whether in code or in systems, so I don't
think it's right to say we do the system "no matter how complicated".

In this case, the benefit looks to be small, because the system we have
today already copes with mistakes by cores and the implementation and
maintenance cost in both gerrit code and maintaining the maps looks to
be high.  So, in my book, it's a bad tradeoff.

James