[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Derek Higgins derekh at redhat.com
Wed Jun 3 14:15:49 UTC 2015

On 02/06/15 23:41, James E. Blair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This came up at the TC meeting today, and I volunteered to provide an
> update from the discussion.
>
> In general, I think there is a lot of support for a packaging effort in
> OpenStack.  The discussion here has been great; we need to answer a few
> questions, get some decisions written down, and make sure we have
> agreement.
>
> Here's what we need to know:
>
> 1) Is this one or more than one horizontal effort?
>
> In other words, do we think the idea of having a single packaging
> project/team with collaboration among distros is going to work?  Or
> should we look at it more like the deployment projects where we have
> puppet and chef as top level OpenStack projects?

As far as packaging goes Id imaging the teams will be split into groups
of people who are interested into specific packaging formats (or perhaps
distro), these people would be responsible for package updates, reviews,
etc...

On the specifics of the packaging details, collaboration between these
groups should be encouraged  but not enforced. I would hope that this
means we would find the places where packaging details can converge
while staying within the constraints of distro recommendations.

> Either way is fine, and regardless, we need to answer the next
> questions:
>
> 2) What's the collaboration plan?
>
> How will different distros collaborate with each other, if at all?  What
> things are important to standardize on, what aren't and how do we
> support them all.

Collaboration between these groups is important in order to keep a few
things consistent

o package repository naming, we should all agree on a naming scheme for
the packaging repositories to avoid situations where we have rpm-nova
and deb-compute

o Tools to build packages in CI jobs should provide a consistent
interface regardless of packaging being built

> 3) What are the plans for repositories and their contents?
>
> What repos will be created, and what will be in them.  When will new
> ones be created, and is there any process around that.

Assuming you mean git repositories ? I think anything under the
openstack(or stackforge) umbrella is fair game along with anything in
the global-requirements file.

If you meant package repositories I think none is a fine answer for the
moment but if there is an appetite for them then I think what would
eventually make most sense are repositories for master branches along
with supported stable branches. This may differ between packaging
formats and what their teams are prepared to support.

> 4) Who is on the team(s)?
>
> Who is interested in the overall effort?  Who is signing up for
> distro-specific work?  Who will be the initial PTL?

 From the RDO point of view we are doing the trunk chasing work already
downstream. If we were to shift this packaging upstream of RDO I would
imagine we would just switch the gerrit we are submitting too. I don't
speak for RDO but of the people I spoke too I didn't hear any resistance
to this idea.

> I think if the discussion here can answer those questions, you should
> update the governance repo change with that information, we can get all
> the participants to ack that, and the TC will be able to act.

Great and thanks,
Derek.