[openstack-dev] [packaging] Adding packaging as an OpenStack project

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Jun 3 11:47:56 UTC 2015

On 06/02/2015 10:40 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> On 06/02/2015 05:41 PM, James E. Blair wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This came up at the TC meeting today, and I volunteered to provide an
>> update from the discussion.
>>
>> In general, I think there is a lot of support for a packaging effort in
>> OpenStack.  The discussion here has been great; we need to answer a few
>> questions, get some decisions written down, and make sure we have
>> agreement.
>>
>> Here's what we need to know:
>>
>> 1) Is this one or more than one horizontal effort?
>>
>> In other words, do we think the idea of having a single packaging
>> project/team with collaboration among distros is going to work?  Or
>> should we look at it more like the deployment projects where we have
>> puppet and chef as top level OpenStack projects?
>>
>> Either way is fine, and regardless, we need to answer the next
>> questions:
>>
>> 2) What's the collaboration plan?
>>
>> How will different distros collaborate with each other, if at all?  What
>> things are important to standardize on, what aren't and how do we
>> support them all.
>>
>> 3) What are the plans for repositories and their contents?
>>
>> What repos will be created, and what will be in them.  When will new
>> ones be created, and is there any process around that.
>>
>> 4) Who is on the team(s)?
>>
>> Who is interested in the overall effort?  Who is signing up for
>> distro-specific work?  Who will be the initial PTL?
>>
>> I think if the discussion here can answer those questions, you should
>> update the governance repo change with that information, we can get all
>> the participants to ack that, and the TC will be able to act.
>>
>> Thanks again for driving this.
>>
>> -Jim

> Gentoo packages from source client side, don't think this effects us.

Possibly, and that's definitely a legit answer. I think in the deb
packaging effort the primary desire is that package build files would be
in Gerrit to encourage collaboration in the wider community.

So an openstack/ebuild-packaging that was the git tree with the ebuilds
could be a thing if it was a thing you wanted.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net