[openstack-dev] [all] cross project communication: Return request-id to caller

Miguel Ángel Ajo majopela at redhat.com
Wed Jun 3 10:13:15 UTC 2015

Doesn’t this overlap with the work done for the OSProfiler ?

More comments inline.

Miguel Ángel Ajo

On Wednesday, 3 de June de 2015 at 11:43, Kekane, Abhishek wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> So for I have got following responses on the proposed solutions:
>
> Solution 1: Return tuple containing headers and body from - 3 +1
> Solution 2: Use thread local storage to store 'x-openstack-request-id' returned from headers - 0 +1
> Solution 3: Unique request-id across OpenStack Services - 1 +1

I’d vote for Solution 3, without involving keystone (first caller with no req-id generates one randomly),
the req-id contains a call/hop count, which is incremented on every new call...

> Requesting community people, cross-project members and PTL's to go through this mailing thread [1] and give your suggestions/opinions about the solutions proposed so that It will be easy to finalize the solution.
>
> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-May/064842.html
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Abhishek Kekane

Can’t this be easily mitigated by limiting the request-id size,
and denying any wrong request-id?

> > 2. Changes need to be done in all python-*clients
> >
> > 3. Last request id should be flushed out in a subsequent call
> > otherwise it will return wrong request id to the caller
> >

> > Solution 3: Unique request-id across OpenStack Services (suggested
> > by Jamie Lennox)
> >
> > Reference:
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/156508/10/specs/log-request-id-mappin
> > gs.rst
> >

> > Get 'x-openstack-request-id' from auth plugin and add it to the
> > request headers. If 'x-openstack-request-id' key is present in the
> > request header, then it will use the same one further or else it
> > will generate a new one.
> >

> > Dependencies:
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/164582/ - Include request-id in
> > auth plugin and add it to request headers
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/166063/ - Add session-object for
> > glance client
> >
> > Add 'UserAuthPlugin' and '_ContextAuthPlugin' same as nova in
> > cinder and neutron
> >

> > Pros:
> >
> > 1. Using same request id for the request crossing multiple service
> > boundaries will help operators/developers identify the problem
> > quickly
> >
> > 2. Required changes only in keystonemiddleware and oslo_middleware
> > libraries. No changes are required in the python client bindings
> > or OpenStack core services

Why do we need to call keystone to get a request ID?, can’t we just
simply generate a random one if no req-id is provided in headers?

I believe calling keystone to start a new request is a bottleneck, and that’s
not generally necessary when you have an auth token already...

> > Cons:
> >
> > 1. As 'x-openstack-request-id' in the request header will be
> > visible to the user, it is possible to send same request id for
> > multiple requests which in turn could create more problems in case
> > of troubleshooting cause of the failure as request_id middleware
> > will not check for its uniqueness in the scope of the running
> > OpenStack service.
> >
> > 2. Having the same request ID for all services for a single user
> > API call means you cannot generate a full call graph. For example
> > if a single user's nova API call produces 2 calls to glance you
> > want to be able to differentiate the two different calls.

Why not tagging the request ID with the call number?

<req-id>/1 , <req-id>/2, <req-id>/3 … then it’s very easy
to trace order.