[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Discuss mesos-bay-type Blueprint

Kai Qiang Wu wkqwu at cn.ibm.com
Wed Jun 3 01:19:18 UTC 2015

Hi All,

For mesos bay, I think what we should implement depends on user-cases.

If users use magnum to create mesos-bay, what would they do with mesos in
following steps ?

1. If they go to mesos (framework or anything) directly, we'd better not
involve any new mesos objects, but use container if possible.
2. If they'd like to  operate with mesos through magnum, and it is easy to
do that, we could provide some objects operation.

Ideally, it is good to reuse containers api if possible. If not, we'd
better find ways to mesos mapping(api passthrough, instead add redundant
objects in magnum side)

Thanks

Best Wishes,
Kai Qiang Wu (吴开强  Kennan)
IBM China System and Technology Lab, Beijing

E-mail: wkqwu at cn.ibm.com
Tel: 86-10-82451647
Address: Building 28(Ring Building), ZhongGuanCun Software Park,
         No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road, Haidian District Beijing P.R.China
100193

Hi Jay,

For your question “what is the mesos object that we want to manage”, the
short answer is it depends. There are two options I can think of:
      1.       Don’t manage any object from Marathon directly. Instead, we
      can focus on the existing Magnum objects (i.e. container), and
      implements them by using Marathon APIs if it is possible. Use the
      abstraction ‘container’ as an example. For a swarm bay, container
      will be implemented by calling docker APIs. For a mesos bay,
      container could be implemented by using Marathon APIs (it looks the
      Marathon’s object ‘app’ can be leveraged to operate a docker
      container). The effect is that Magnum will have a set of common
      abstractions that is implemented differently by different bay type.
      2.       Do manage a few Marathon objects (i.e. app). The effect is
      that Magnum will have additional API object(s) that is from Marathon
      (like what we have for existing k8s objects: pod/service/rc).
Thoughts?

Thanks
Hongbin