[openstack-dev] [nova] RequestSpec object and Instance model

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Tue Jun 2 14:14:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

Currently working on implementing the RequestSpec object BP [1], I had
some cool comments on my change here :
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/145528/12/nova/objects/request_spec.py,cm

Since we didn't discussed on how to persist that RequestSpec object, I
think the comment is valuable.

For the moment, the only agreed spec for persisting the object that we
have is [2] but there is also a corollar here that means that we would
have to persist more than the current fields
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/169901/3/specs/liberty/approved/add-buildrequest-obj.rst,cm

So, there are 2 possibilities :
  #1, we only persist the RequestSpec for the sole Scheduler and in that
case, we can leave as it is - only a few fields from Instance are stored
  #2, we consider that RequestSpec can be used for more than just the
Scheduler, and then we need to make sure that we will have all the
instance fields then.

I'm not strongly opiniated on that, I maybe consider that #2 is probably
the best option but there is a tie in my mind. Help me figuring out
what's the best option.

-Sylvain

[1] :
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/liberty/approved/request-spec-object.html