[openstack-dev] [DevStack][Neutron] PHYSICAL_NETWORK vs. PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK - rant

Hirofumi Ichihara ichihara.hirofumi at lab.ntt.co.jp
Tue Jun 2 00:50:17 UTC 2015

> Thanks for the clarification. Do you think that there are cases where
> the value for PHYSICAL_NETWORK and PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK will be different?
No, I cannot find the cases. I think it’s traditional something.

> Perhaps we can change the default value for PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK from
> "public" to just pulling in what PHYSICAL_NETWORK is set to, if it is
> set?

Do you expect anything like the following?

PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK=${PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK:-$PHYSICAL_NETWORK}
PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK=${PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK:-public}

I guess it’s a simple solution even though it’s not essential.
The issue probably is caused by two points.
1) PHYSICAL_NETWORK and PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK confuse users.
2) Devstack lacks the condition for avoiding the issue in https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/lib/neutron_plugins/openvswitch_agent#L58

If I solve the issue, I would unify the two parameters.
I would leave the following for backward compatibility.
PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK=${PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK:-$PHYSICAL_NETWORK}
and
change PHYSICAL_NETWORK into PUBLIC_PHYSICAL_NETWORK in all the code.