[openstack-dev] [all][release] summit session summary: Release Versioning for Server Applications

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Jun 1 17:10:16 UTC 2015

On June 1, 2015 at 1:03:08 PM, Jeremy Stanley (fungi at yuggoth.org) wrote:

> Since pip treats .postN in strange ways, it's not entirely safe to
> rely on the old PBR behavior which would have made this
> 2.25.0.post8. In particular, if we were to ever upload that to PyPI
> (terrible idea I know, bear with me anyway), anyone asking pip to
> install python-novaclient==2.25.0 would get the latest 2.25.0.postN
> package rather than the actual 2.25.0 package.

That’s not exactly accurate, the only real special handling is that even
though 2.25.0.post8 is “greater than” 2.25.0, it won’t match if you do
>2.25.0 because it’s recommended that you only use post releases for non
code changes (packaging issues, documentation fixes, etc).

I wouldn’t recommend using post releases for code change releases though,
I think you’d be better off just adding a 4th digit to the release number
and being 2.25.0.8 or so. That’s mostly just a semantic thing (except for
>) not any functional reason.

---
Donald Stufft