[openstack-dev] [api] PATCH guidelines concerning body content

michael mccune msm at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 19:59:21 UTC 2015

hi all,

recently a discussion came up in irc[1] about the guidance we can
provide concerning PATCH body contents. essentially the issue comes down
to what we should be recommending for updating resources; rfc6902 type
patching, partial resource updates on PATCH, or a different methodology
akin to sub-resource updating.

it seems reasonable that regardless of the methodology a project
chooses, that the project should remain consistent internally.
furthermore, it sounds like there are a number of different
implementations in use around the openstack ecosystem which makes it
more difficult to recommend a singular approach. although we could
choose a direction as "most advisable".

we currently mention PATCH[2], and both 6902 and partial resource style
updates. i'd like to open a discussion around what type of guidance we
can provide in this area. i see a few options we could explore for
guidelines:

* choosing a consistent updating methodology
* advising a sensible choice as the default preference of the wg (6902,
partial resource, sub-resource)
* providing examples

what do folks think about creating some specific guidance for updating
resources?

regards,
mike

[1]: