[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Would anyone from Nova Core be able to join the Cinder mid-cycle meetup?

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Thu Jul 30 05:31:57 UTC 2015

On 07/29/2015 10:59 PM, John Garbutt wrote:
> On 24 July 2015 at 22:49, Jay S. Bryant <jsbryant at electronicjungle.net> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I had the opportunity to chat with John Garbutt when he was here in
>> Rochester for the Nova mid-cycle meet-up.  We discussed the fact that there
>> was much to be gained by improving the communication between the Cinder and
>> Nova teams.
>
> We do have names written down for CrossProjectLiaisons for other projects.
> That is helping a little, but I am sure we can refine the idea so its
> more effective:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons#Inter-project_Liaisons
>
> The basic ideas would be to get folks who are in the Nova meeting
> regularly to jump into the Cinder meeting when required, and someone
> else to do the reverse.

What I am finding is that some folks are reluctant to come forward as
Liasons initially, despite their possible interest. Some reasons for
hesitation might include uncertainty of what responsibilities are
understood with the role, uncertainty if there actually is time in the
individual's schedule to attend meetings and be available for questions,
clarification and follow up, that sort of thing.

I am finding good success by encouraging someone who might consider
trying on a cross project hat to do something along those lines: attend
a meeting, follow up on an email, engage in a conversation with someone
in another project on a specific issue and see how it feels. If it
doesn't feel like a good fit, fair enough, thanks for trying it out. If
you can help with one thing (example: cells with nova and neutron)
great, you don't have to take on everything with the two projects, just
focus on one issue and that is most welcome, thank you. (Thanks to
mlavelle for volunteering with the cells cross project work here.)

If you have done a few things, shown up for meetings for two projects,
followed a particular spec, helped both projects become better informed
about how the issue affects those projects, wonderful. Then if you feel
like added your name to the wikipage, great, that helps others. But
please don't feel that signing up has to be the first step, for some
they experience the work for a while before they agree to it publicly,
what ever works for you.

Thanks Jay, John, and Paul, glad to see this conversation progress,
Anita.