[openstack-dev] [glance] Removing python-swiftclient from requirements.txt

Ian Cordasco ian.cordasco at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jul 29 21:38:07 UTC 2015

On 7/29/15, 13:27, "William M Edmonds" <edmondsw at us.ibm.com> wrote:

>> From: Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
>> To: openstack-dev <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
>> Date: 07/28/2015 07:59 PM
>> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [glance] Removing python-swiftclient
>
>> from requirements.txt
>>

><snip>
>
>> I replied on both patches, but I'll repeat it here for a broader
>> audience:
>>
>> Please set up an "extras" entry for each backend instead of just
>> removing the dependencies.  That will signal to users that you know
>> what dependencies there are for a backend, but that they are optional,
>> and still allow someone to do the equivalent of "pip install
>> glance[vmware]" or "pip install glance[swift]" to get those
>> dependencies.  Nova and oslo.versionedobjects have examples in their
>> setup.cfg if you need a template.
>>
>> I didn't mention in the reviews, but this will also make integration
>> tests in our gate easier, since you can put ".[vmware]" or ".[swift]" in
>> the tox.ini to pull in those dependencies.
>>
>> Doug
>>

><snip>
>
>I did this... but now I'm thinking I really shouldn't have. That makes
>perfect sense for glance_store, but shouldn't that only be in
>glance_store, and not also in glance?

No, I think it belongs in glance too frankly. What most people care about
is that Glance works with VMWare and Swift, not that they install glance
and some library that interacts with those. For most people their concept
of how glance works is that it talks to VMWare, Swift, etc. It makes
sense, then (to not cause too much confusion) for Glance to set-up extras
that merely then define glance_store[swift] or what have you.

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Also, I haven't tested how something like

$ pip install glance[swift,vmware]

Would behave given we'll need glance_store in our requires no matter what,
and then with the extras it'll be installing

$ glance_store[swift] glance_store[vmware]

I'll have to test this a bit. It may make more sense to simply have these
be Glance dependencies since we're the only consumer of glance_store (for
now).